[Promotum] Nice picture

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:06:10 -0700

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0109/sunplume_soho_big.gif

From APOD:

Explanation:  Our Sun is still very active. Last year, our Sun went
though Solar Maximum, the time in its 11-year cycle where the most
sunspots and explosive activities occur. Sunspots, the Solar Cycle, and
solar prominences are all caused by the Sun's changing magnetic field.
Pictured above is a solar prominence that erupted on May 15, throwing
electrons and ions out into the Solar System. The image was taken in the
ultraviolet light emitted by a specific type of ionized helium, a common
element on the Sun. Particularly hot areas appear in white, while
relatively cool areas appear in red. Our Sun should gradually quiet down
until Solar Minimum occurs in 2007.

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org