[Promotum] Soviet grunts talk about Afganistan, so does Country Joe

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:06:03 -0700

     If you read /., you've already seen this, but if you don't, the
following article brings up some very interesting experiences regarding
Afganistan and trying to control it via ground troops. Most interesting
to me was the mindset that suffering in this life will be rewarded in the
afterlife; therefore, property and even life will have little or no
meaning to the Taliban forces. How do you strike against an enemy whose
way of thinking essentially makes your weapons and methods useless?
Personally, I think the only way it could possibly be done is with
special forces, and we'll probably take some heavy losses in the process.
OTOH, there are differences; the Sovs were trying to occupy, if we only
make quick in/out attacks we can minimize much of the losses the Sovs
faced. Anyway, here's the link, go draw your own conclusions. :-P

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000075191sep19.story

     While reading it, the thought did occur to me that if we do end up
bogged down in a ground war like happened in 'Nam, the 'I feel like I'm
fixin' to die rag' by Country Joe and the Fish back in '65 could be very
easily modified to reflect Afganistan rather than Vietnam... In fact,
nowadays you could probably get away the the "real" fish cheer, rather
than the censored one that ended up on the record...

http://www.countryjoe.com/ra/fixin.ram

http://www.well.com/~cjfish/game.htm#cheer

     Lastly, while looking up info on Country Joe, I found a page he's
setup dealing with the  current situation. Personally, I found the speech
of Fidel Castro and the open letter from the Dali Lama very interesting.
I also note that several modified versions of the Fixin' to Die rag are
already there... ;-)

http://www.countryjoe.com/crisis.htm

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org