[Promotum] World's funniest joke

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Thu Oct 3 11:44:01 2002

The University of Hertfordshire actually made a scientific study of
jokes, and came up with the joke most universally found funny.
Personally, I thought it (the joke) was somewhat dumb. But what really
caught my eye were the following two paragraphs:

>People from the Republic of Ireland, the UK, Australia and New Zealand
>most enjoyed jokes involving word plays.
>Americans and Canadians, on the other hand, preferred jokes where there
>was a strong sense of superiority - either because a character looks
>stupid or is made to look stupid by someone else.

Word play is commonly enjoyed by (dare I say it?) hackers, and this would
tend to explain why the British comedies seem to have a generally high
appeal to same. And I'm pleased to note that kiwi's seem to share my
sense of humor, yet another indication that I might fit in well there.

<http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0600uk/
page.cfm?objectid=12251019&method=full&siteid=50082>

<http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/hacker-humor.html>

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org