[Promotum] Regarding attacks

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:16:31 -0700

     Those of you who know me are no doubt clear I don't blindly follow
general public opinion, so prepare for what may be some unpopular views.
Think different.

     In no way do I condone the activities of the terrorists. I think the
most important question that needs to be asked is this: why would a group
of 50 or more people hate the US so much that they would wish to do this?
While nuking the hell out of Afganistan might make Joe Sixpack feel
avenged, the reality here is that if we do not learn our lessons from
history, we are doomed to repeat it. In that vein, I offer the following
links. I urge you to read them from an intellectual viewpoint, rather
than an emotional one. Terrible as this tragedy is, I fear the greater
tragedy is that we as a nation are not going to learn a damn thing from
it, and therefore again fall victim to the derivative of our own
interventionist foreign policy.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/9/12/163019/268

http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html

http://service-net.org/ws/theme145.cfm

http://www.michaelmoore.com/2001_0912.html

Victory breeds hatred, for the defeated live in pain. Happily live the
peaceful, giving up victory and defeat.   3.Buddhism. Dhammapada 201

Wars not make one great. Anger, fear, aggression, the dark side of the
Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once
you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny,
consume you it will...     (Thanks, Amanda)

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org