[Promotum] Ig Nobel awards

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 10:17:26 -0700

I've sent these around in the past, but it has been a while...

WHAT: The Ig Nobel Prizes honor people whose achievements "cannot or
should not be reproduced." Ten prizes are given to people who have done
remarkably goofy things -- some of them admirable, some perhaps
otherwise.

WHY: The Igs are intended to celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative
-- and spur people's interest in science, medicine, and technology.

THE CEREMONY: The Prizes are awarded at a gala ceremony in Harvard's
Sanders Theatre. 1200 splendidly eccentric spectators watch the winners
step forward to accept their Prizes. The Prizes are physically handed to
the winners by genuinely bemused genuine Nobel Laureates. You are invited
to attend the ceremony in person, or via broadcast.

WHENCE: The Igs are inflicted on you by the science humor magazine Annals
of Improbable Research (AIR),

     So now that we've cleared up what they are, here's the results of
the 2001 ceremony:

http://www.improbable.com/ig/2001/ig-2001-winners.html

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org