[Promotum] LOTR Reviews

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:16:27 -0800

     For the enjoyment of those who don't frequent /., here's some
reviews of LOTR, which opened yesterday in the UK. I was saying to
Samantha the other night, after watching a LOTR special on TV, that if
Jackson has managed to make the films merely 1/3 as good as the books,
LucasFilms Star Wars juggernaut is in huge trouble. Star Wars, while I've
always loved it, is still basically average mythology wrapped up in
Science/Fantasy dressing; while LOTR is universally acclaimed as THE
premiere fantasy work of our age. Given that Jackson has so much more to
work with, dethroning Star Wars is a very achievable feat. Anyway, here's
the reviews from the UK, which indicate to me that Jackson may well have
pulled it off (warning-if you've never read the books there may be some
plot spoilage here):

http://film.guardian.co.uk/0,3968,423571,00.html
http://film.guardian.co.uk/lordoftherings/news/0,11016,616644,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/reviews/newsid_1702000/17021
77.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/review?ac=006793036230474&rtmo=LNyd3Kid&atmo=rrr
rrrrq&pg=/et/01/12/11/bfrings11.html

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org