[Promotum] NYE setlist, photos, comments

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Wed Jan 1 13:16:02 2003

(I figured I'd send this to promotum as there are enough deadheads on the
list to warrant general distribution; feel free to trash it if you aren't
one of them)

It was fun, I finally got to be the head with family in tow. Hunter was
somewhat overwhelmed by it all but had fun nonetheless. He can tell when
something's not right with someone and doesn't react well to it, so when
the more inebriated folk tried to talk to him he'd clam up. He didn't
understand what their problem was, but he understood something wasn't
right, and he didn't like it... Working our way through the lot a young
tourhead by the name of Meagan talked to him, gave him a hug and a little
rock shaped like a horse, and said she'd see him inside; he spent half
the show looking for her. Cute. He also came away with various little
trinkets and glow sticks; seems like a show is a fun place to go for a 5
year old. He got this cute little tyedye with a turtle pattern on it, and
we got a Terrapin during the show, so I made a big deal about his having
the Terrapin Turtle on his shirt. Had to show him the album cover before
he understood what I was rambling about though...

My thoughts on the show: as close as you can get to the Dead without
having Jerry(and I also missed my traditional NYE co-conspirators, Darryl
and Marjorie). It really was a good show. The jams, doodles, setlist, all
of it was sweet. The one piece I felt was missing was the soul Jerry
brought to certain tunes. Stuff like Stella Blue, Morning Dew, those
sorts of songs. When Jerry was on they were incredible, I didn't get the
same soulfullness from any of the rest of them. So, I missed that piece,
but it was a lot better than when I saw Ratdog several years back-the
first 3 tunes were great, but then it was time for a Jerry song, and it
was depressing that there were none. One interesting thing; TOO seems to
have borrowed a page from Lynyrd Skynyrd. After Skynyrd reformed,
whenever they played Freebird they made it instrumental, which made it
more poignant; it was explicit that somebody was missing. Same with the
Stella Blue last night; making it instrumental acknowledged the fact that
Jerry wasn't there to sing it, and none present could do it justice. Well
done.

And, I finally got my St. Stephen(15 years later, sans Jerry, but I got
it). Just a side note on that; reportedly Jerry was reluctant to play
Stephen, the rest of 'em wanted to revive it but Jerry wouldn't do it.
Jerry's memorial service was held at St. Stephen's; ever since I've
wondered if he somehow sensed St. Stephen was a bane of some sort.

I grabbed a few photos with a digital camera, it didn't deal with the low
light conditions very gracefully, but they are pix of the gig:

http://www.hintz.org/photos/public/too-nye/

The setlist:

December 31, 2002
The Arena @ Oakland, CA

Set 1: St. Stephen>
The Eleven>
Jack Straw>
Unbroken Chain>
Playin' In The Band>
Scarlet Begonias>
Fire on the Mountain

 GD NYE AudioVideo>
COUNTDOWN TO NYE>
HAPPY New Years>
Sugar Magonolia>
Sunshine Daydream>
Shakedown Street>
Cryptical> Other One>
Drumz> Space>
Lady With A Fan>
Darkstar>
Terrapin Station>
Throwin' Stones>
Not Fade Away
 Donor Rap>
Caution Jam>
I Know You Rider>
No More Do I>
Baby Blue
E: Stella Blue
Instrumental

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org