[Promotum] Epmathy vs. Systemizing (shades of Asberger)

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Thu Apr 17 12:44:02 2003

Another study in which they compare male vs. female brain activity and
conclude (in the big picture) that women are more prone to empathizing
while men are more prone to building systems and other structured tasks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,937913,00.html
Short link here:
http://tinyurl.com/9q83

What's interesting is the tests they offer. I took them, and on EQ I
scored 13, SQ 47. According to the results, most folks with autism have
better empathy than I, scoring around 20, and my 47 SQ score has me just
4pts shy of hardcore Asberger. I don't find the results particularly
surprising, it's just interesting that their facts correlate what I've
already observed.

One question I found to be very interesting was "After meeting someone
just once or twice, I find it difficult to remember precisely what they
look like". I'd often noticed I seemed to perform poorly in that area,
but recently a friend brought it up and described exactly my symptoms,
which I'd never thought much about previously. It was quite intriguing to
see someone else reporting exactly the same symptoms, and also curious to
see it come up as a question under the systemizing quotient test.

Regards,

Ed Hintz
ed@hintz.org