[Promotum] Security through stupidity

Ed Hintz ed@hintz.org
Thu May 16 20:12:02 2002

Just as useless as security through obscurity... Noticed this a few
months back but hadn't found any good stories on it; was reminded of it
by my upcoming appointment with those highly competent $5/hr airport
"security" staff:

Short story: 86 year old retired USMC General and winner of the
Congressional Medal of Honor for shooting down 26 japs in the battle of
Guadalcanal (also was Govenor of South Dakota and President of the NRA at
times) was delayed for about 45min in Jan. at Phoenix Sky Harbor because
security weenies thought his Medal of Honor could be used as a weapon.
Here's a few links:

http://www.arizonarepublic.com/special42/articles/0216FOSS16.html

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/27/war.hero.cnna/

http://www.winstonsrock.com/foss.html

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org