[Promotum] Lane splitting 101

Ed Hintz ed@hintz.org
Fri May 10 17:30:04 2002

<http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mclaw/split.html>

I really liked this one. Probably because I spent 4 years in LA on a
Suzuki GS850; I had no car at all, lane splitting for me was clearly a
way of life. I have but 2 comments. In my case, I always voiced a
preference for old spark plugs rather than #4 ball bearings, though I
always preferred to run rather than fight.

But more importantly and somewhat more seriously, consider this: while
it's easy to hate the biker while you're stuck in traffic and he/she is
free as a bird, he/she is constantly trying to keep from being mowed down
by drivers sans clues. Furthermore, on that cold rainy afternoon, he/she
is freezing, wet, and miserable; the car drivers are warm, cozy, have an
optional cup of coffee, and a nice radio. There's no such thing as a free
lunch; we bikers pay for that lane splitting in one way or another.

Anyway, make sure to check out the mpeg movie, it's a good representation
of what the biker is seeing. Just needs the wind and engine noise, and
the peripheral vision.
Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org