[Promotum] Posse Comitatus

Ed Hintz ed@hintz.org
Sun Jun 23 12:30:04 2002

There's a great article over at Kuro5hin about the Posse Comitatus act of
1878, which was enacted during Reconstruction by the southern lawmakers
who'd been occupied by the northern troops, and it's relation to the
detention of Jose Padilla. Besides looking at the legal ramifications of
a military body acting as civil law enforcement and detaining US citizens
without due course of law, it also brings up the spectre of where this
sort of thing could lead-a wealthy banana republic. Worthwhile read IMHO.

<http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/22/0622/92456>
<http://www.dojgov.net/posse_comitatus_act.htm>

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org