[Promotum] Bulwer-Lytton 2002 awards

Ed Hintz ed@hintz.org
Tue Jul 16 12:20:08 2002

As described by the site:

>An international literary parody contest, the competition honors the
>memory if not the reputation of Victorian novelist Edward George Earl
>Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873). The goal of the contest is childishly simple:
>entrants are challenged to submit bad opening sentences to imaginary
>novels. Although best known for The Last Days of Pompeii (1834) and the
>phrase, "the pen is mightier than the sword," Bulwer-Lytton opened his
>novel Paul Clifford (1830) with the immortal words that the "Peanuts"
>beagle Snoopy plagiarized for years, "It was a dark and stormy night."

<http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2002.htm>

This years winner:

>On reflection, Angela perceived that her relationship with Tom had always
>been rocky, not quite a roller-coaster ride but more like when the
>toilet-paper roll gets a little squashed so it hangs crooked and every
>time you pull some off you can hear the rest going bumpity-bumpity in its
>holder until you go nuts and push it back into shape, a degree of
>annoyance that Angela had now almost attained.

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org