[Promotum] Re: Julius Caesar quote

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:30:59 -0800

Sounds like it's legit. Thanks to Brooke and Rob for the verification:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dittrich, Rob
> To: Wilton, Brooke
> Subject: I AM THE ZOMBY BOOKNERD
> Date: Thu, Jan 10, 2002, 5:01 PM
>
>> Unknown if it's legit, if anybody can prove
>> or disprove let me know. Nice quote regardless.
>
> This is at least as verifiable as anything else
> attributed to Julius Caesar; it's cited in Gibbon's
> "Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire", and is alluded
> to by Marcus Aurelius (who came along a few Caesars
> later) - the impression he gives is that literate
> contemporaries of Marcus Aurelius (e.g. the folks he
> was writing for) would be familiar enough with the
> quote as to make it unnecessary to repeat, though the
> quote is footnoted in some annotated translations of
> his work for convenience. Marcus Aurelius, though a
> gifted strategist in his expansionist campaigns, saw
> them only as a means to bring civilization to Europe
> and prevent attacks from barbarians (which
> incidentally, worked until long after his death). He
> mentioned the quote from Julius Caesar as
> justification for not pressing further into Africa or
> getting into lengthy engagements in Asia Minor.
>
> What can I say, I am a book dork.
>
> - Rob

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                      http://www.hintz.org