[Promotum] Heavenly music

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:35:42 -0700

The BBC proms (sort of like what we call the pops here in the states)
redid their program of 15 September to reflect the WTC. If you get a
chance to check it out, by all means do. Besides a stirring and very
appropriate rendition of final movement of Beethoven's 9th, Barber's
Adagio for Strings was particularly touching. Seeing as how the proms are
an institution dating to 1895, breaking with the usual tradition of Pomp
and Circumstance and Rule Brittania is IMHO a particularly notable
tribute. I caught it on BBC America, dunno when/if it will be on again,
although BBC 3 will rebroadcast the radio show on 31 December.

http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=94338

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/broadcasts/index.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/broadcasts/repeats.shtml

http://www.bbcamerica.com/servlet/DailySchedule

On the subject of musical tributes, after watching the big telethon here
in the states, I have to say that I can't possibly think of anyone better
to sing Imagine in the absence of Jonn Lennon than Neil Young. Good,
good, good stuff. "I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live
as one".

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org