[Promotum] Phantom Menace DVD in stores today

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:04:44 -0700

     Went to Fry's in Palo Alto this morning looking for a trackpad (saw
the doc this AM, says I've got minor carpal tunnel on my left arm,
moderate on my right-it's the mouse that's messing me up), they didn't
have it, but I wandered into the DVD section to see if Phantom Menace was
there yet. They had a shelf full, it's a 2 disc set and they priced it at
$17.99, very nice. Got it back to the office and threw it in my Mac OS X
10.1 system, and it's just incredible (evidenced by the crowd of gawkers
around my workstation). I remember being unimpressed  by the resolution
of the film in theaters, but wow is it crisp on the DVD (on a Sony 21"
CRT, Apple G4/450 DP, OS X). The CGI stuff is absolutely awesome. Even if
you think (as I do) that Phantom Menace was by far the weakest of the 4
films, it's still worth having just for the clarity of the picture.
Sadly, I'm afraid I won't be able to afford a surround sound system
before next year. But now I have a reason to do so, right?  ;-)

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org