[Promotum] Red pill-operation northwoods

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:30:04 -0700

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/jointchiefs_010501.html

     This sort of deceit does make one wonder precisely what sort of
misinformation and spin is coming out of DC these days... Not that I
think they would take out the WTC-frankly I doubt they'd be creative
enough to think of it. Anyway, they'd go for something smaller. But it
does damage the level of trust one has for our government... Much like
Watergate, Iran/Contra, Vietnam, blah blah blah.

     As for the book mentioned, Body of Secrets, I highly recommend it. I
saw the author, James Bamford, when he spoke at the BlackHat briefings in
Las Vegas this last July, and picked up a copy of the book for the
autograph signing, figuring why not... The book itself is an anatomy of
the National Security Agency from inception to y2k, and is quite
fascinating reading, covering cryptography and signals intelligence from
Bletchley Park and WWII through the cold war and some pretty amazing
intelligence coups(like using subs to wiretap undersea soviet
communications cables). It also has a lot of damning information about
the sinking of the sigint vessel USS Liberty by Israeli forces during the
6 day war, and this information comes from a plethora of sources from
Israeli Defense Force officers to crew members of the Liberty and crew
members of the NSA spyplane which was in the area unbeknownst to either
the Liberty or the IDF. Gives some real insight into just one of the many
reasons the Islamic extremists have a real hardon for us. One hint-it has
nothing to do with our "freedom"... Theirs, maybe, but not ours...

More reading on the USS Liberty can be found here:

http://208.56.153.48/jim/ussliberty/

More about Body of Secrets here:

http://www.bodyofsecrets.com/

First chapter of the book online here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/bamford/excerpt.html

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org