[Promotum] Red pill...

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:49:33 -0700

     Remember the movie "The Matrix"? There's a scene where the
hero-to-be is given the choice to take a red or blue pill. The red pill,
and his eyes are opened to the real world around him-he sees beyond the
smoke and mirrors; the blue, he forgets the meeting and believes whatever
he wants to believe. So, I'm gonna steal their idea. From here on out
when I want to send something concerning the "war" which counters the
American media perspective, I'll label it as a red pill. If you're of the
type that wishes for blue, just delete it. And this. ;-)

     So, all that out of the way, Robert Fisk is a longtime correspondent
for the UK paper "The Independent"; he's based in Beirut. Below are links
to a couple of recent articles which I think illustrate well the opinions
of the average Achmed Sixpack (as opposed to his flag waving American
counterpart, Joe Sixpack). Also, there's one that talks a bit about the
oft mentioned but otherwise little known Northern Alliance.

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=98659

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=98407

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=97281

     On a slightly related note, I was rather disgusted by Fox News
Channel after they aired Bin Laden's taped statement. Bin Laden lays out
his gripes, and when it's over the talking head comes on and just totally
dismisses him with a sarcastic comment about the brave warrior hiding in
caves. No pondering of whether we might look like hypocrites to the folks
in the mideast, no trying to understand what he's trying to say. But,
when our illustrious VP heads for "undisclosed secured locations" when
the bombing raids commence, nobody makes sarcastic remarks about him
hiding in concrete caves. I don't like double standards, and I really
don't like our government playing loose and fast with the truth while
killing innocent bystanders. Popular spin would have you believe this is
about our freedom(which incidentally seems like it is being taken away as
quickly as possible-odd how our government defends freedom by taking it
from the citizens). Bin Laden didn't say anything about our freedom in
the various translations I read. Bin Laden says it's about our supporting
Israeli terrorism and other abusive mideast governments. All the while
trying to keep our hands clean, retain plausible deniability, and keep
the oil flowing into our SUVs. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in
between.

     And just to reiterate, I don't support terrorism, nor the taking of
life in any way. Nor for that matter do I support Bin Laden-he's just as
much of a hypocrite as he's blaming the US to be-one finger points, 3
point back. What Atta and co. did was wrong. Killing more people will not
bring back the dead, nor will it solve any purpose other than creating
more Attas. And it's just as wrong, too. No matter how avenged it makes
us feel.

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org