[Promotum] A victory for freedom

Edmund A. Hintz ed@hintz.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:38:34 -0800

So, some of you might remember me ranting and raving over the arrest and
prosecution of Dmitry Sklyarov. The Dept. of (In)Justice has reached an
agreement with Dmitry. There were many articles written about it, but
basically the charges have been suspended, and his employer, Elcomsoft,
has taken over the role of lead defendant. The agreement requires Dmitry
to appear in court as requested for either the prosecution or defense,
but if he does so the DOJ will drop charges at the end of the Elcomsoft
case. Essentially, this means Dmitry and his family can go home to
Russia, and he can simply fly out for court dates as needed, and he is no
longer subject to criminal prosecution and imprisonment. So, it's a
victory of sorts, although the repeal of the DMCA still stands before us.

Anyway, this evening (19 Dec), the EFF held a "Dmitry Freed" party in SF;
various persons spoke, and I'm proud to say Dmitry named me personally in
his thank you speech. You can hear it on MP3 here:

http://radio.eff.org/radio_shows/Dmitry_Victory.mp3

Oh, and because I'm completely nuts, I caught a 10 pm showing of FOTR
afterwards. Here's my comments on that:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2001/12/19/53218/657/52#52

Being that it's now 3:30am and I've just about lost the adrenaline rush
from FOTR, I'm singing off now. Cheers.

Peace,

Edmund A. Hintz              **|**     "You may say I'm a dreamer,
Mac Techie, Unix Geek,      *  |  *      But I'm not the only one...
Mac/Unix Consultant        *  /|\  *     I hope someday you'll join us,
<ed@hintz.org>              */ | \*      And the world will live as one.
'78 Westy                    *****      Imagine."
                     http://www.hintz.org